Sunday, April 11, 2010

AI cheating on strategic games

Doesnt it bother you that AI on RTS will always cheat? I dont think there is a strategic game out there which its AI dont cheat on skirmshes matches. They will always have at least one: It can see you all the time! For the AI there is no fog of war and stealth units . I think this a minor issue because I believe that in order to work on so many others aspects the AI has to know where you are.....The problem really is when AI cheats on money gathering, building time, damage inflicted etc... I really think that is hugely dissapointing. I hope one day for a good RTS with a great single player campaing and a most human like AI who does not cheat at all. I also would like to know if anyone knows about a game where AI doesnt cheat? And also whch RTS game do you think it has the most interesting challeging AI? AI cheating on strategic games
They only cheat on the higher difficulties, from what I've noticed. Obviously, with it being controlled by the computer, the AI can pull off more moves in a set amount of time than any human player could, but it doesn't ''cheat'', most of the time.Command and Conquer 3, for example, has the AI get double the player's income (or something like that), but only on Brutal. I haven't played many RTS games where the AI gets a boost in build times, or damage protection/infliction, unless specifically set that way, via handicaps etc. or on the game's high difficulties.

If you haven't played Company of Heroes, I recommend it. The AI is tough by relatively fair. (Relatively in a sense that it can still pull off more moves in a minute than a player could) AI cheating on strategic games
Like in FPSs, a higher difficulty makes enemy weapons more powerful, a higher difficulty RTS AI will have accelerated build time and faster income, ect.
It's no different than how AI cheats in shooting games.
Well, most single player campaigns are designed with triggers that will give them more resources or units, but they are also usually designed so that they are not impossible to beat. As for skirmish mode, I am not sure if the AI cheats by disabling their fog of war view. It's likely that they do more than not, but that's fine by me. In most RTS games that I've played, they usually send a scout, so I guess you can say that's how they 'uncover the fog'. You can always set the difficulty lower where the computers takes less calculated, and more random actions (or have weaken units). Also, most RTS allow you to disable fog of war with a cheat.
I have yet to find a more challenging AI than CoH. I struggle on normal difficulty.
[QUOTE=''Xavier_12'']I have yet to find a more challenging AI than CoH. I struggle on normal difficulty.[/QUOTE]Nah, the AI just infantry spams. The solution is to spam back, and get MGs up at chokepoints.
[QUOTE=''Doom_HellKnight''] They only cheat on the higher difficulties, from what I've noticed. Obviously, with it being controlled by the computer, the AI can pull off more moves in a set amount of time than any human player could, but it doesn't ''cheat'', most of the time.Command and Conquer 3, for example, has the AI get double the player's income (or something like that), but only on Brutal. I haven't played many RTS games where the AI gets a boost in build times, or damage protection/infliction, unless specifically set that way, via handicaps etc. or on the game's high difficulties.

If you haven't played Company of Heroes, I recommend it. The AI is tough by relatively fair. (Relatively in a sense that it can still pull off more moves in a minute than a player could) [/QUOTE]I realize that most of them will cheat only in the highest difficult mode, but still the fact they see everything nulls a lot of typical crazy human startegies. For example, on very early game you send a builder on a corner/hidden location of the map far from your base and not too far from the opponent base. You just sent the builder there and let it rest for a while. When its gets to middle game you start building a small forward base from a location where the enemy could not expect, and you have a huge step on map control....but, if you are playing agains AI they will simply send some unit there and kill your builder as soon as he arrives...Not only she knows its there, she knows its not being guarded. Also she will build counters to what you are building even if she never took a step on your base And thanks for the sugestion. CoH is a game that I will buy someday thats for sure. Good to know that the AI is fair. Single player is an important aspect of a RTS imo
personally i find it necessary for the AI to cheat. The AI can only be so good, and without cheating the computer would be a complete push over. With most computers they usually continue to do the same thing over and over so they become predictable and very easy.As with most games, as people continue to play people get better and create new strategies. So as a game ages the computer would become a useless oppenent if it werent for cheating. The only way i can see the AI not cheating would be for patches to come out for the game that would feature new AI that can perform and counter the new strategies that are constantly made by players.
[QUOTE=''Richyd13''] personally i find it necessary for the AI to cheat. The AI can only be so good, and without cheating the computer would be a complete push over. [/QUOTE] I agree with this. I'd say it's even necessary for AI to cheat, keeping the game challengi8ng. However, it's really annoying when AI cheats ''balantly,'' which means that dev gets lazy and doesn't bother to come up with more subtle cheats; that is, I think the cheat if noticable, should be felt as ''reasonable.''I'm fine with most games AI cheats, but one: Civilization III (not real time, but strategy game notheless) -- the cpu civilization would send scouts to build settlement at empty, meaningless spot, later, several ages later, turns out to be big resource spot: the AI anticipates that in the future (when more advanced technology developed) there will be useful resources -- that is too much~''~
In most games on the highest difficulty the AI becomes really challenging and i guess you could say they cheat but thats the whole idea of having different difficulty levels. If it really bothers you and you find the AI is beating you silly then just use an ingame cheat and spawn an army of units in their base, at the very least it will make you smile as you crush the AI's basee and units....
Oh no dont confuse this as a complain of being too hard to beat. Im a RTS hardcore geek. I love setting up matches with me against 3/4/5 enemy AI all of them on hardest level and make them suffer. I never uses cheats myselfI was merely pointing out that it would be great if we had a game where the AI would be most chalenging and would not cheat Im all for a good hard RTS game, in fact there is nothing more dissapointing than an easy RTS Also, that idea of releasing pacthes that changes the AI behaviour is a really good idea.
You could give Galactic Civilizations 2 a try. It's a turned-based strategy game and you can basically configure your ai opponents the way you want them to be.
[QUOTE=''Doom_HellKnight'']If you haven't played Company of Heroes, I recommend it. The AI is tough by relatively fair. (Relatively in a sense that it can still pull off more moves in a minute than a player could) [/QUOTE] The AI Does cheat in Company of Heroes - they are able to call in Artillery/Support strikes IN the fog of war - ie where they cannot possibly see you
[QUOTE=''bangell99''][QUOTE=''Xavier_12'']I have yet to find a more challenging AI than CoH. I struggle on normal difficulty.[/QUOTE]Nah, the AI just infantry spams. The solution is to spam back, and get MGs up at chokepoints.[/QUOTE] Yeah, this pretty much gets you a win against any AI. HMGs + chokepoints and the AI has no idea what to do. I rarely see them use snipers and even if they do I have a sniper that takes them out in one shot. I think I was playing Best and all I did was rush that one chokepoint. Wire the other one and it pretty much turned into a bloodbath as the AI attempted to run engineers through my 5 HMGs + 5 mortors. AI doesn't seem to use wirecutters either. CoH is probably the worst when it comes to cheating at higher settings. Their units seem to have a larger visual range and can shoot much farther. Units deal much more damage also. I had a US Engineer vs. Wehr Engineer (I was US). They were capping a flag and I was pounding them while they were doing it (I had yellow bonus. They had none). Somehow, magicly, that one engineer guarding the capper manages to kill 2 of my engineers... I instantly rage quit. I doubt we will ever see an AI capable of defeating a human without cheating. It's just about how processors are built. They perform single tasks really quickly and humans are much more capable at multi-tasking (planning ahead, anticipating AI, cause->effect), even if they can't do a single task faster than a computer.
[QUOTE=''Xavier_12'']I have yet to find a more challenging AI than CoH. I struggle on normal difficulty.[/QUOTE]Then you must suck at RTSs...no offense..CoH probably has one of the worst AI ever. I could beat it on expert within like 2 days after getting the game and I'm no expert at RTS. But then again it is a pretty easy game since it's so slow paced.
The AI cheats so much in Civilization 3. I send my modern armors (Attack: 24) against warriors (Defense: 1)... and they die, wtf.
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

No comments:

Post a Comment