Tuesday, April 13, 2010

@ Securom...

Hey all, so I have been buying a lot of games that supposedly have securom lately ( fallout 3, spore, far cry 2, crysis warhead, and more soon). Was wondering if it has any negative long term effects on my system and hardware ? I've heard many theories about it but just dont know. Ty for any insight.@ Securom...
It can give your computer AIDS@ Securom...
No, don't worry about that. But you might want to occasionally do a format %26 clean install of Windows every 6 months for better overall game performance...
[QUOTE=''unrealplaya55'']It can give your computer AIDS[/QUOTE] Pretty much...People have reported that secuROM disables CD-burners, DVD-burners, and software that, supposedly, can be used illegally... There have been reports that computers stop working after installing the game. However, with more and more updates with the software, I don't even know what could be the long term problems secuROM can cause.I'm not going to buy any games that contain secuROM because I was not given a choice to install it on my computer. There are only negative consequences with secuROM. People are not going to have secuROM if they pirate the game, so secuROM has no purpose.Wikipedia states the only way to uninstall secuROM is to reformat the harddrive. :|
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Securom aside from that it limits your game installs. Don't sweat it.
Honestly I'm not gonna lie, A game that has securom is a game I wont buy.
[QUOTE=''GodLovesDead'']There's absolutely nothing wrong with Securom aside from that it limits your game installs. Don't sweat it.[/QUOTE]Even that is not entirely true. Although a developer can use this feature, Fallout 3 uses SecuRom and does not have any install limits.I think the tales of Securom's damage are greatly exagerated. You really should not have any problems with a relatively up-to-date system.Many of those CD protection schemes caused problems with older cd drives and burners.
[QUOTE=''XaosII''][QUOTE=''GodLovesDead'']There's absolutely nothing wrong with Securom aside from that it limits your game installs. Don't sweat it.[/QUOTE]Even that is not entirely true. Although a developer can use this feature, Fallout 3 uses SecuRom and does not have any install limits.I think the tales of Securom's damage are greatly exagerated. You really should not have any problems with a relatively up-to-date system.Many of those CD protection schemes caused problems with older cd drives and burners. [/QUOTE]I think your right :D. After installing a bunch of games on my pc that have securom I havent noticed any slow down or any problems at all.
[QUOTE=''XaosII''][QUOTE=''GodLovesDead'']There's absolutely nothing wrong with Securom aside from that it limits your game installs. Don't sweat it.[/QUOTE]Even that is not entirely true. Although a developer can use this feature, Fallout 3 uses SecuRom and does not have any install limits.I think the tales of Securom's damage are greatly exagerated. You really should not have any problems with a relatively up-to-date system.Many of those CD protection schemes caused problems with older cd drives and burners. [/QUOTE] /threadI have yet to see a single problem with any game I own assosciated with Securom (except Mass Effect, which has come down with the crappy gameplay syndrome)
Fallout 3 only requires disc in drive thats it. Spore and far cry 2... nuff said.
I'd say there is nothing to worry about if you are alright with the activation limits that some titles have.
I attribute a DVD drive failure to SecuROM 7.xx as I was using Nero to backup some data when it failed (and it is widely known that SecuROM does not like Nero Burning software). The drive had worked flawlessly up until then, and the only thing that had changed on my PC was the installation of a couple of games that used SecuROM 7.xx. I can't prove it, but nor am I willing to risk further damage to my drives by reinstalling that malware on my PC. I also had trouble a couple of years back getting another DVD drive to recognise Thief: Deadly Shadows and another game. Much as that guy on YouTube who couldn't get FEAR to run without a crack. When the copy protection itself prevents a legitimate customer from using the product, there is something wrong, especially when they meet or exceed the recommended specs.Anyone who says there is no problem at all with SecuROM or other copy protection systems have simply been lucky enough not to encounter a problem. Others have, including me, and so I'm a lot more wary getting any game that uses SecuROM (especially version 7.xx).
It's malware/spyware and you dont think it will have any bad long term problems on your PC? I think you need to check out some of the links under my sig. I personally had it messing up my pc and the way it ran. Since I got rid of it COMPLETELY... my PC has never ran better.



Don't believe people that say it is harmless...google it and you will find tons of discussions on it.
StarForce killed my DVD drive and as a result my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. disc. I refuse to buy any game that uses any kind of DRM at all. It is the completely wrong way of counteracting piracy. Making me, the legitimate owner, not want to buy your game doesn't help you the developers very much.
It isnt bad so dont worry about it ... stupid system but oh well :S
[QUOTE=''foxhound_fox'']StarForce killed my DVD drive and as a result my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. disc. I refuse to buy any game that uses any kind of DRM at all. It is the completely wrong way of counteracting piracy. Making me, the legitimate owner, not want to buy your game doesn't help you the developers very much.[/QUOTE] Piracy is not its only use, but yeah... and Starforce does suck. If any game I want has starforce, i will buy it but take proactive means...
[QUOTE=''Captain__Tripps'']Piracy is not its only use, but yeah... and Starforce does suck. If any game I want has starforce, i will buy it but take proactive means... [/QUOTE]
Piracy or not, all of it is control, control that developers should not have over their software.

No comments:

Post a Comment